View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Tick Resistance 

Post Tick Resistance
This month I noticed that my Frontline treatments have lost effectiveness after only 3 weeks. Any one else having problems? Does it pay to change off pest control types every so often?

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:34 am

Post Re: Tick Resistance
My Vet has always recommended Revolution as it treats multiple concerns. I purchase the large dog dose online and split it up. Never a problem.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:11 am

iseespots wrote:
My Vet has always recommended Revolution as it treats multiple concerns. I purchase the large dog dose online and split it up. Never a problem.

The breeder I got Tesla from uses Revolution... I think I may try that next time instead of Advantage!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:31 am
Profile E-mail
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Frontline is an excellent product, although it is not a repellant. So the fleas will still jump on the cats and then it takes anywhere from 4 to 18 hours to kill them. It doesn't mean that the Frontline isn't working, it just takes some time, but they will die. They don't have to bite the cat either or the dog to die. Maybe your animals just got in an area where the fleas were really heavy and they brought them in. It should still be very effective after 3 weeks it just will take several hours to kill the fleas.

I have always used Frontline, and in fact I apply it every 45 days instead of the 30 days. That is what my vet told me that I could do many years ago, so I tried it, and we have never had fleas on my animals. The manufacturer does recommend every 30 days but it is good for more than 45 days.

Mary, I have never had a problem with Frontline. I know I have used Frontline for around 10 years or so with much success. Do they still have the fleas? How long ago did you notice them?

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Unfortunately it was ticks. I have had Lyme many times and the situation is far more dangerous for me than it is for the cats. Last time I got bitten by an infected tick I nearly died so it is very important to me that I can at least prevent exposure from the animals.

Next go round I will try another product and talk with my Vet too. This area of the country is rife with the little bastards and I seem to be a very good magnet for them myself.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like Revolution because it also treats ear mites. And ear mites are the absolute worst thing to try and treat the servals for.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

That is terrible. I would definitely check in to changing to something else. I know that the formulas for the flea and tick treatments are ever-evolving because of resistance to the chemicals that the insects build. But I would talk to your vet. I have heard great things about Revolution too. I have just always had success with the Frontline.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Codycats wrote:
Unfortunately it was ticks. I have had Lyme many times and the situation is far more dangerous for me than it is for the cats. Last time I got bitten by an infected tick I nearly died so it is very important to me that I can at least prevent exposure from the animals.

Next go round I will try another product and talk with my Vet too. This area of the country is rife with the little bastards and I seem to be a very good magnet for them myself.

Are you putting it on the base of your neck so you can't lick it off? :rofl: :rofl:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 am

Or on my elbow... :toothy:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:04 am

Ticks are the one case where Revolution is not as effective, as the ticks will jump on, but take a while to die. Meantime they get hauled into the house. I do use Advantix or Frontline Plus on my dogs that go into tick areas of my woods, saving the Revolution for the cats that stay in the house or enclosures.

www.victorylanesavannahs.com

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Ticks are really BAD this year. Finding ticks even earlier than before..now less than three weeks after applications. Worst year yet here.

Seems I complained about this last year almost at the same time in October. Need to keep that in mind and either change meds or dose more frequently.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:39 am

There really is nothing that you can put on a cat that is truly affective for ticks. Amitraz works great for killing ticks, but it is only labeled for dogs, and the safety is questionable for them too (promeris). Frontline has a new product on the line. Its basically frontline plus with small dose of amitraz in it (certifect). Would be good for your poodle, but still nothing good for cats.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile WWW