View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I Scored 

Post I Scored
My son is a cop in a rural town on third shift. He called this morning with news of a road kill deer that was in pretty good shape. This arrangement could help fill Sabian's my freezer fast. :mrgreen:

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 am
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post Re: I Scored
Nothing like getting your name on a deer road kill list to feed your cat for free :cat: I would like to, but have no way to bring the deer home. Not going to put a dead deer in my car :lol: I also need a larger freezer. I know a few poeple who hunt, so every year when they get fresh meat, they clean out their freezers and give me the older stuff, which is still good. :cat:

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:35 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Lucky Sabian!! I get a road kill or two every year also. I get calls for a lot more from the local deputies, but the hard part is getting there fast enough to gut and transport before it starts going bad. Seems like I'm always at work when I get calls, darn it. I don't think taking a quick break to gut and skin a deer in my scrubs would go over very well, lol! :notsure: At least I have a good transport vehicle with the flatbed, so I don't have to worry about getting ticks on the upholstery. I do keep a nice sharp Gerber in the console. :wink:

www.victorylanesavannahs.com

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Will you butcher the deer meat yourself or do you have someone who does this for you? I'm just wondering how you will fit a whole deer in your freezer. =p
That IS a pretty awesome score! For 1 cat that would last you a few months?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

An average deer yields 40-45 pounds of meat. I supplement with chicken so a couple months is probably close. I cuth them up myself, it's not rocket science and for a cat that eats whole opossums, I don't worry about a little hair in the meat.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:27 am