View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Breeding 

Post Re: Breeding
Im of the opinion that once that dog is yours, they cannot say what you do with it if it is within the law (I.e. desciding where it goes if you cant keep it). Most of the time this is true and contracts dont hold up well in court. Trouble is, this particular dog had a microchip that was in the rescues name so the police had no choice but to get it back at the "rescues" request. So to break it down, this rescue would rather make a name for themselves rather then letting a dog live in a good home, and that takes away resources that could be used on a truly needy pet.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 pm
Profile WWW

Thats terribly sad, Carrie, our german shepherd, also has a micro chip, and we were told not to remove the tag on her collar that has their contact information on it which I thought was strange, but she said that way if our info is outdated or unreadable they have a secondary contact info. Wow.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail

I would be transferring that microchip over to your name asap.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:35 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, thanks for the info!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 pm
Profile E-mail

I won't do business with any shelter that requires a home inspection. My husband and I figure that the chance they are going to be some AR nut goes up exponentially when dealing with fanatical shelters like that, and I don't want AR nuts knowing where my cats are.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:01 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

The local Humane Society here doesn't do all that craziness.

It is very reasonable to adopt a dog for $80 that has been micro-chipped, had all of his shots, been wormed and neutered/spayed. They also treat them for fleas and ear mites before adopting them out.

You do have to sign a contract stating that if you re-home the animal, you must inform them of the new address and owners name etc. This is mainly just for their records.

I know that some rescue shelters are really bad with the sort of thing you guys are talking about. It's really too bad too. So many homeless animals waiting for a new home.

Besides our servals and one of our dogs (our lab), all of our pets are rescues in one way or another. Either fostered and then adopted from the Humane Society or taken in as an orphan.
This isn't to say I wouldn't buy a pet from a reputable breeder though.

If we could eliminate all the irresponsible pet owners, the good breeders would be our only source for obtaining a pet :)
If only it could be so!

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:30 am
Profile E-mail

The shelter I worked at didn't necessarily inspect the home, but that's cutting a fine line...the shelter does require a yard inspection...the fence must be in good repair and of an appropriate height to contain the dog, and the yard must be free of things the dog could injure itself on. What I had a problem with was that Edie found that having a 10 x 10 kennel for any dog over 20 pounds was unacceptable (unless you speak of the kennels at the shelter), and you HAD to build a fence before she would adopt a dog to you.

That is, of course, unless you are a friend, or over the age of 50. Because then she KNOWS you are a good owner...which doesn't seem to explain why ALL the dogs she adopted to friends and people over the age of 50 were returned in the time that I worked there.

I really do think shelters and rescues need to accept some degree of responsibility for their own high population numbers. Edie has in her office a green notebook that is 15-some years old. In it, she has listed every person to ever surrender an animal to the shelter, for any reason, or who has ever "failed" part of the application process, or who just doesn't keep their current or past pets in a way that Edie likes. And if you find an abandoned animal, Edie makes you fill out surrender forms like it's YOUR animal, and so your name will end up in her book.

It doesn't stop there...she keeps tabs on the family and friends of these people too...my friend needed her landlord to come in and personally vouche for her because Edie didn't like how Brit's grandparents kept one of their dogs YEARS ago.

In short, HALF the town is in that book and cannot adopt. And then the people who Edie deems worthy are STILL treated crummy, unless Edie counts them as a personal friend.

I left my job at the shelter for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that we were euthanizing adoptable dogs because Edie wouldn't let them out the door.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:53 am
Profile E-mail

I think that is so sad. A friend of my Moms growing up had a full grown rottweiler in an apartment building for 5 or 6 years. That was one of the happiest doges and he loved him very much they were definitely best friends! He had the dog forever, he moved out and we lost contact, but just because someone doesnt have a yard doesnt make them a bad owner. Ive seen plenty of owners with yards and the dogs just live outside all the time. So you just never know really.

Also I hate how the rescue society had such a know it all attitude, I felt like they were treating me like a complete idiot when it comes to raising dogs. In her opinion you must NEVER give a dog raw hide, they must NEVER be allowed on your furniture, you HAVE to kennel them at night, and NEVER let them walk through a door before you, oh yeah and she had one of those spike collars turned inward that she suggested I never take off. I cant imagine having to sleep in one of those things! I understand why some people do these things and to each his own, but both my dogs are very well behaved and arent in need of such strict measures. They just dont have that kind of personality and I dont like other peoples dog raising opinions shoved down my throat, there is more than one way to raise a dog, you have yours and I have mine, and if I want your opinion or I have a problem Ill ask! Ugh, ok just ranting now Im done. :)

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 am
Profile E-mail

I personally do not find the slightest thing wrong with a tie out for the dog to relieve itself. There are tons of people in homeowner assoc. that arent allowed fences. Why is it so bad for a dog to be tied out for number 1 and 2? plus since when is handwalking not ok? No fence = no dog rule, ludicrous.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:34 pm
Profile WWW