View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Potential problem 

Post Potential problem
I've always wanted to raise an Ocelot but I'm very allergic to domestic cats. Would I have the same problem with an Ocelot or are they different?

Wed May 13, 2009 10:08 pm
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Maybe, maybe not. But the real problem is that you cannot get an ocelot if you reside in the United States. See relevant posts in this and other sections of the forum.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:41 am

an ocelot is an "advanced" exotic cat, meaning you should start with something easier and more personable. Ocelots are BITING machines, even when hand raised. Its just the nature of them. I have a geoffroys cat and they are very much rekated and can see why ocelot owners say that. With her it was a matter f teaching her to bite nice, not no biting at all. Get a geoff, much better pet. But I still have to keep the geoff all but in a sterile room because she has hadto he surgery to remove fabric from her stomach. She will chew any and all fabric including coaches, carpet ect.

Thu May 14, 2009 3:00 am

Which species don't mind water? Perhaps if I can bathe it My allergies won't be a problem.

Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Hi, and welcome. I think bathing might help a bit, but My ex wife is severely allergic to basically every animal there is. I don't know anything about the scientific stuff, but I raise desert lynx, and everyone that has gotten one including my ex has not been allergic in any way. They have all been so happy because otherwise they can't have pets because of their allergies. I don't understand why that is but it is or understand why they are "hypoallergenic" Lasergrl might know better with that. But maybe just check into some type of hybrid like the Desert Lynx.

Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 am
Profile E-mail WWW

I suppose the only way to find out if my allergies are going to be a problem or not is to spend some time around one. Does anyone know of any breeders in Washington state?

Fri May 15, 2009 8:46 pm

...servals love the water...we bath ours couple of times a month with little effort. Wow...sorry...just saw the post date...lol.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:27 am

Post Re: Potential problem
This is an old post but I thought I would reply. I have a geoffroys cat and I live in WA state - they are very similar to Ocelots! You are welcome to visit her anytime, she's very sweet and loves new to make new friends!

Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail YIM