View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Real dangers of big cat ownership 

Post Real dangers of big cat ownership
So it is always been said that the media is just sensationalizing the dangers of big cats and that actually, it is X times more likely to die from [write unprobable death cause here]. In the recent clip by the FCF "An in(cat)venient truth" (these guys did such an awesome job, loved it! So if you havent seen it - youtube it ;) it was repeated again....and i fear we are, too, making a statistical error here.

Basically, captive big-cat-related deaths occur statistically once a year. And every single one of them put himself knowingly in danger.
Hence I conclude that the risk of getting killed by a (pet) big cat as a "normal" non-big-cat-owner, is 0. But the rist of getting killed as an owner yourself - is probably way beyond that, and there is no statistic (which I would know) on how many big cats are kept in the US (or better, worldwide), which would be missing figure here. If there was one, one could calculate big cat fatalities/captive big cats and get the dangers of owning a big cat.

Does anyone have a source on how many that might be? After all, as REXANO is using this argument with quite some pleasure, it would be good to keep things in perspective and not use statistics to "manipulate" the case ourselves. I dont want to say that big cats are dangerous or anything, dont get me wrong.. that would be the last thing i would want. But I think REXANO & co owes the public a complete and objective view on big cat dangers, or else it will get a similar reputation as BCR....

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:33 am
Profile E-mail ICQ

Post Re: Real dangers of big cat ownership
I don't believe that anyone here has suggested that big cats are not dangerous.

We accept danger in our lives all the time though. for example we kill off more Americans in one year in car accidents than were killed in all the years of the Vietnam war. I think this parallel is a better one to use . No one suggests that we can't own cars. We do however demand that people drive responcibly. It is one thing to accept a risk for ourselves..like owning a big cat or skiing on a black diamond trail when we are snow bunnies and another to try to legislate all risk out of existence.

I suppose those that would make these laws don't drive, use the bathroom ( most dangerous room in the house) or in short engage in life!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:42 pm
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

The questions should be, is there a danger to the PUBLIC!! I don't care if there is a danger to myself. That is a risk I have a right to take. But when done right, there is very little danger. You are at more risk of injury and/or death in many other areas of our lives. Driving is one of them and even taking a bath or shower. To the public, there is very little if any danger. Most, if not all, injuries or deaths to the public are not the fault of a big cat owner. It is the fault of the other person. Either they were somewhere where they should not have been or did something they should not be doing. It's funny, so many people worry about these so called "dangers of big cat ownership" but fail to see other dangers, such as gun ownership in this country. Just recently, my stupid law makers feel it was a good idea, to let conceal carry permit holders (gun) to be allowed to bring their guns into BARS!!!! Talk about stupid and a real danger to the public!!!! I have a RIGHT, to own the animals I so choose. With that right comes a responsibility. That is, to keep the public safe and to keep my cat(s) safe from the public. The AR likes to spin the statistics. If there is an "x" amount of deaths and/or injuries from big cat ownership, the vast majority of these incidents are to the owner's and/or care takers. Those statistics should NOT be used, because they are false and misleading. It makes it appear there are far more dangers to the public than there really is. The public has far more dangers to watch out for. Some of these inlcude; cars, falling off a ladder or in the tub/shower, being bitten or killed by a domestic DOG, being struck by lightning. As a member of the public, you have a far better chance of winning the lotto than you do of getting injured or killed by a captive, privately owned big cat.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I always took Z to argue that captive big cats posed zero risk to members of the public. Owners and keepers who are willing to engage in direct contact obviously assume some risk, but this would be irrelevant for legislation motivated by concerns about public safety.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:06 pm
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

kermisracer wrote:
I always took Z to argue that captive big cats posed zero risk to members of the public. Owners and keepers who are willing to engage in direct contact obviously assume some risk, but this would be irrelevant for legislation motivated by concerns about public safety.

Exactly!! :cat:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:16 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

AmberTheBobcat wrote:
The questions should be, is there a danger to the PUBLIC!!

Exactly, and this danger is apparently smaller than those 1 deaths/person/year, because there are actually 0 deaths/person/year if we are talking about the common uninvolved public, which makes comparing it to getting killed by a supernova or anything else simply unneccesary.
But e.g. keeping a dog makes your life more dangerous, even owning a Toaster makes your life more dangerous....Hence keeping a big cat obviously makes your life more dangerous, too. So I would be interested in how big that danger is, in percent, not actual fatalities.. just out of curiousity, if you want :P.

AmberTheBobcat wrote:
If there is an "x" amount of deaths and/or injuries from big cat ownership, the vast majority of these incidents are to the owner's and/or care takers. Those statistics should NOT be used, because they are false and misleading. It makes it appear there are far more dangers to the public than there really is.

True, that. The general public is stupid and would easily misunderstand such statistics... so better not "use" them. Still, they are interesting data IMHO...who knows, maybe a big cat owner puts himself into a lower danger than a dog owner does when decinding on an animal, do we know it?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Statistics, in this case, couldn't really be trusted anyway, because pure chance is not all that's at play here. Sure, owning a toaster can make your life more dangerous, if it explodes randomly or something, but a death from a big cat could potentially be prevented by watching its behavior and really knowing the cat's personality. (i.e., like what John says about not going in with Carmelo if he's in the wrong mood). Yes, the cat could be suddenly alarmed by a new scent or sound or something, but for the most part, mistakes are the owner's fault, not the randomness of chance and statistics.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 pm