View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:48 pm

geoffrey's cat pregnancy signs 

Post geoffrey's cat pregnancy signs
As Many of you know I have a sent a very nicely rosetted bengal (misha) up to WA state to breed with a female geoffrey's cat (delight) to make safari kittens . I have been communicating with the breeder about the mating but never owing a geoffrey's cat I do not know how their pregnancy compares with a domestic cat. He has been in with female geoffrey's for about 4 weeks now a believe. The breeder says that her geoffrey's cat is now a lot more mellow and eating slightly less. Based on my knowledge from breeding jungle cat hybrids and bengals this would put her at about three or four weeks along. But she has mentioned nothing of nipple change which also happens to my domestics at this stage. My question is what are the outward signs that I and my breeder delight should be looking for to tell that the geoffrey's is pregnant.

Thanks

Jesse

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: geoffrey's cat pregnancy signs
Thank you for posting this Jesse! I would also really like to know. I am not sure if there are any geoffroys cat breeders on this board though. I know Lasergirl owns a female geoff but she's never bred her. I am amazed at how quickly delight has taken to misha. They have had absolutely zero squabbling, which is pretty amazing for intorducing a new cat to a 3+ year old geoffroys cat. I will try and get ahold of Lynn Culver today and see if she can tell me anything as well. I'll let you know what I find out.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:53 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

I have also emailed belle hollow farms with this question will let you know what they say!

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Belle hollow wasnt real helpfull when i asked them questions about my girl. They arent very optimistic on a female geoff breeding a domestic. I dont see why not. I would like to find an aggressive male for my girl. Rauli is very aggressive and goes for the throat.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

That is basically what belle hollow said when I emailed them and that we may be producing midget cats with this combo. But they did me that it is hard to tell when a geoffroy's is pregnant sometimes they can't even tell until very very late in pregnancy.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:12 am
Profile E-mail

One of the things I would like to mention here is that Betsy at Bellhallow has only this year produced any geoffroys cats. This is the first year her cats have bred for her and she has suffered some heart ache trying to produce Safaris using a male geoff so she's not too optamistic about the safaris as a breed. She has delt with a couple miss carridges, still births and kittens dying shortly after birth due to not having a female that can carry them long enough to be born healthy. I talked to Lynn Culver who has ample amounts of expereince with geoffs and she didn't seem to hold any pessimism against weather or not Delight and Misha would breed and told me what to look for to know Delight was in heat and wished me good luck in my endevors. This is all really exciting because if it does work I believe this will be the first documented female geoff X male domestic cross! I also believe that with this cross we will probably get smaller kittens if the groth inhibitor gene works the same way it does in lygers and tigons but truth be told we really will not know until it happens what we are going to get for sure. I have wanted to play off the small stature of the kittens and introduce the signapura into the early generation outcrosses to keep the small stature if the female geoff X male domestic cross does indeed produce smaller than normal kittens - having "pocket panthers." which might be wonderful for people with not as much room, to have a pint sized exotic cat with all the docile personality that the safaris have. It could be a really amazing project. Misha is a VERY proven male bengal and Delight is so docile with him that I believe if she goes into heat, we WILL have mating. I will be keeping a close eye on here in these next couple weeks to see if she was bred by Misha in her past heat cycle. I am very excited for us Jesse! :cheers:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 am
Profile E-mail YIM

I would also like to add that if Delight is bred I think I will know, she is a SMALL Geoff so any extra weight will be quite noticeable! If I do notice she's starting to look a little plump I will take her into the vet for an ultrasound so that we can see for sure what she's upto! I hope that we will have some kittens this fall but if not I have high hopes for next spring!

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 am
Profile E-mail YIM

This is an interesting article that I found. Some of the info seems a little shakey, but none the less it is a good read.

http://messybeast.com/small-hybrids/geo ... ybrids.htm

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Well, Delight is in heat and is giving Misha a run for his money. She's being very boisterous & obnactious. No witnessed mating yet.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:42 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Darn I just read this I was hoping for kittens november of this year. Maybe next spring.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:40 am
Profile E-mail

We will see, like I said I have not actually witnessed a mating yet but Delight is not letting Misha get too close, she's spending a lot of time sleeping in the day and wants to swat at him if he tries to creep up on her while she's sleeping. She hasn't been flighting with him but has definately been rough on him with her play during her heat. He's been keeping very close to her during the day while she rests, she's more active at night when I'm sleeping so just because I have not seen mating does not mean that it didn't happen, I just haven't seen it. I am still keeping fingers crossed for kittens this winter but if not lets all pray to the holey cat fertility god :notworthy: they make it happen next spring! GO MISHA GO!! Maybe I need to get out there and cheer by the sidelines LOL!

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am
Profile E-mail YIM