View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Cougar sightings in Ohio causing major scares. lol 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post Cougar sightings in Ohio causing major scares. lol
as of the last couple of months there have been reports of cougars running through neighborhoods, the woods, in public parks and in people's yards. They are apparently teaming up with wolves who also haven't been seen in Ohio in many years and killing farm and other wild animals. This is turning in to such a big joke it's not even funny. Every day people are sending in pictures of cats in their yards saying that they are definitely cougars and wolves. In the one picture there is a cat and a dog within 5 feet of each other just content and sitting there enjoying the sunshine. lmao. I can't even believe they are posting this stuff in the newspaper. some of the pictures are upwards of 300 yards away so it is very difficult to decifer what you are seeing. I've saved all the others on my computer and blown them up so I could see details of the cats and none of them are cougars. People are saying that these cats are standing between 2 and 3 feet tall and over 100 pounds. I do think it is possible that someone let their cougar escape or something to that effect but it is just hilarious what people are making of the whole situation. They have closed local parks, and nature trails. It's like the whole area of mid Ohio is under a state if distress. Here's one of the pics that a couple nearby took of the cougar and its friend, Mr. Wolf. They are convinced that it is a cougar and a wolf.
The dog is on the left. a little hard to see.
Enjoy,

Attachments:
348736920-08194234.JPG
348736920-08194234.JPG [ 37.08 KiB | Viewed 1085 times ]
347780780-08194237.JPG
347780780-08194237.JPG [ 64.16 KiB | Viewed 1085 times ]
Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:38 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Cougar sightings in Ohio causing major scares. lol
Remember the lost cobra in the Bronx Zoo? Well the thing was given a Twitter account and much fun was had as the snake was supposedly Tweeting..Well the same thing happened recently in Connecticut with Cougars. Now the cougar has a Facebook page and has quite a few "friends". Let's see f the people in Ohio have a sense of humor :lol:

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Yes, I remember that.

The sad thing about this situation is that the authorities plan on shooting the cougar if they find it. I do not see the reasoning behind that If it is a cougar that is loose why not tranquilize it and bring it somewhere less populated, or there has been a sanctuary locally that said they would gladly take in the cougar. There is no reason to destroy the animal It's just gotten into a very populated area and could be moved easily.

The other thing that worries me then is that the bobcat population is growing quite rapidly in the last couple of years here in Ohio. I was lucky enough to actually see one in the wild this year. I didn't freak out. I was happy. It's wonderful to see the native animals coming back and reproducing. I just hope that as bobcat sightings become more prevalent that it doesn't turn into a circus like with this cougar sighting, and all of the fake cougar sightings that people are reporting.

I forgot about this part of the cougar story. Several farmers have reported their animals being killed by this cougar in the last month or so and wanting the cougar exterminated. I feel there are ways to live with wildlife, for example, when my mom started building her herd of goats she researched ways to protect them because we have a pretty large population of cuyotes here. her solution was to get the best herd protection there is, A Great pyrenees dog. cuyotes were killing animals from neighboring farms all the time. There has not been one goat killed on my mom's property while local farms still experience kills from cuyotes. Great pyrenees are the ultimate herd guarding animal, and is one of the few domestic dogs that can and will kill a wolf. I believe nothing could harm a farm animal with a few Pyrenees around. with the reintroduction of bobs to Ohio and possibly other wild animals i believe we need to adapt to living with them around, and there are ways of doing it without just killing them. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but just my opinion.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I saw these pics when they were posted on our local news website. I laughed and said yeah, this sure looks like a cougar to me. NOT!! I told them this was a domestic cat and not a cougar. As soon as I saw this photo, I knew it was no cougar. Stupid people, of course they want to shoot it :x :evil: :twisted: :x :evil: :twisted: . I feel all these sightings are nothing more, than HSUS nut jobs trying to put a scare in people, so they can get their ban passed. We even had a so called sighting near where I work, another cougar. Get this. They said it was the size of a small German Shepherd and had a long bushy tail lol. Ok, this sure sounds like a cougar to me. :rofl: :rofl: I told people here at work, that I do not know of any cougar that fits that description. They said, well maybe it was a young cougar. Well, I busted that theory too. If it was a young cougar, how come they didn't say the so called cat had spots?? Again, this is nothing more than HSUS and other AR idiots trying to get their stupid bans passed. Sad thing is, the general public will believe all this BS, because the news will make this a huge event. :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:28 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Codycats wrote:
Remember the lost cobra in the Bronx Zoo? Well the thing was given a Twitter account and much fun was had as the snake was supposedly Tweeting..Well the same thing happened recently in Connecticut with Cougars. Now the cougar has a Facebook page and has quite a few "friends". Let's see f the people in Ohio have a sense of humor :lol:

the cobra's twitter account was allegedly done as a joke by a well known snake breeder within the reptile community

2 dumerils boas
1 cuban tree boa
2 stripe tailed rat snakes
3 boa constrictors

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:09 am